Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Venturing out...

Today is surely as good a day as any for an introvert to venture out of her cave to launch a blog. ( This is the third or fourth blog I've started in the last eight years.  By the grace of God, I'll get off the ground and stay in the air this time.)

I still wish there was a way to let your light shine while hiding it under a bushel.  Unfortunately, unless you want to ignore Christ's command, don't you  have to go public, somehow or another? 

I'm not sure what I fear.  Probably rejection--the big R I've struggled with all my life.  What if I post and no one reads? Or criticizes me?  Tells me I've produced a bunch of baloney?


But I have a plan.  Or maybe God does, as He seems to be the One who has whispered it in my ear.  Along with my blog I'll post the results of the art lessons I'm disciplining myself to take from the book, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards.  Then I'll feel so relieved if no one reads the blog and looks at my poor artistic attempts, I won't be concerned with rejection.


Actually, if I have to draw/write something on a regular basis and I know a few supportive friends are cheering me on, I'll be more likely to scoot on down the road than I would if I were drawing and writing with no one watching.   I'm forcing myself to crawl out of hibernation. 


So....here's the first assignment, drawn by looking in the living room mirror, scanned into my computer, and tweaked in Photoshop.  It's still pretty poor, but oh well.  I haven't had any official lessons yet.

As the great Ward Cleaver said, "You're never too old to do something goofy."   :-)





2 comments:

  1. Marcia, it is an honor and a privlege to have you in my life. i am so proud of you at this moment! the blog is well written and heartfelt. the art--nothing short of amazing! much love to you! ~Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I still wish there was a way to let your light shine while hiding it under a bushel. Unfortunately, unless you want to ignore Christ's command, don't you have to go public, somehow or another?"

    Love this!

    ReplyDelete